Skip to main content

Disconnected

    The unexpected happened the other day, my cell phone just shut down and wouldn't come back on. Initially, for about 10 seconds, I panicked, thinking, "Oh No! I can't make or receive phone calls! I can't text! This is terrible!" Then, in the spirit of understanding that the universe only allows what's meant to happen, to happen........I stopped thinking it was a big deal. It's modern technology, it doesn't heal itself like the human body, it may break down every now and again. Maybe I was supposed to take a break from feeling "connected"? So, instead of skimming the Internet and emails while on the train, on my way home, after balancing my check book, I kept the pen in my hand and pulled out some blank paper. I assumed I needed to discuss with that piece of paper my current issues.
    Why is it that women are expected to do the bulk of the housework and child rearing? Even now in 2016 where women are considered independent, self sufficient, equal to men in the workforce, and on some Lady Boss shit........Why do we have to work so hard at home? Some of us only have ourselves to rely on but even those of us with a better half at home are still the sole controllers of dishes, laundry, cleaning and making the meals? I'll be honest, I'm frustrated by that! Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have to work and the man made all the money, not a problem. BUT are you telling me that even with working 40 hours a week, I'm STILL responsible for up keeping the house duties???
Two Words: That Blows!

Day #2 Without A Phone:
    Okay, so I REALLY felt naked without my phone! I had no alarm clock that morning, no calendar to refer to, no way to check the weather, no Spotify while I was getting ready, couldn't get my meditation email and my PCP asked me to keep a log of my blood pressure, which I had done, but couldn't show them to her at my appointment that morning...... Yeah, the list was in my phone! Being forced to now write on my train ride into work, I'm starting to realize that, I or we, as a people, are too reliant on our phones. I need to unplug! I seem to be glued to my cell but I'm not gluing a pen to a piece of paper enough! I know I'm being hard on myself because I DO have a toddler in my house, I've got my future husband to care for and all those chores I mentioned earlier..........Where am I supposed to find time to write? I'm  learning that on the train works, after taking the baby to preschool would be good and maybe at night after I've put the baby to bed, if I don't fall asleep with him. How bad do I REALLY want it? I claim that I want it bad. When does life start taking precedence over your dreams? I would die without my dreams! How does God give you what you want if your acting as if you don't want anything specific?
    Discipline!........All these dreams need is a little discipline. Just like going to the gym.....I won't get the body I want unless I discipline myself to go. It's that simple! As long as you start..........eventually you will reach your finish line. Life can't take over your dreams BUT your dreams can certainly, one day, take over your life!
..................To Be Continued...................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I" Message!

(Written sometime in 2003) “I” Message: I feel like a whore again! Had sex and left alone….Again! The xanax for my nerves led me to the countless glasses of champagne and then comes the lust for sex. The enemy was caving in on me and I succumb to my desires of the flesh only to feel like a whore….Again! The same whore he had called me so many times in the past. But now I honestly see why Gad treats me like that…. I’m acting like one! I’m there to satisfy his needs but when it comes time for real life then he can’t handle it. I have to love myself enough to know that I cannot let him continue to defile my body to fill some lustful desire. Keep in mind that all through the night at dinner, during those countless glasses of champagne we consumed, he was using words like “we” and “when I do this for you”. You know, all the phrases needed to make a girl smile and attracted at the same time. But you would think that after six years, two abortions and endless emotional abuse he would mean wha

The Beginning!

(Written April 5, 2000) Let's see..................I really dont know where to begin. This was my life on the "other side of the game". What game? The street game. Drugs, money, sex, lies and extortion! No, I wasn't a dealer and I only used on occasion but what excited me was the thrill. The thrill of being involved with a man of power. A man who knew what he wanted out of life and would stop at nothing to get it! That was such a turn on for me.......it seems crazy but that's how I liked it. It started when I was about 15. My best friend Camille was dating a guy, that had a friend, who wanted to meet somebody. You see, these guys were older than us. You know at 15 you think that means that they know more than you. They were "gettin' money"! And that was what I wanted. An older nigga that could spoil me and teach me what I needed to know about the "streets" and sex! You never asked any of them of their profession.......you just knew! An

9 Months of Clarity

This is from the collection of entries I wrote while I was pregnant...Hence the title. This one is a really hard one to share because I feel like I'm standing naked emotionally in these pages. Eeeeeek! (Written 9/02/11)     So, when I found out that I was pregnant.....after taking THREE pregnancy tests......Because I couldn't believe it.......I just KNEW there were going to be some natural disasters in the world. Why did I think there would be natural disasters? Well, the thought of me being someones mother for one! Second, I'm the popular girl with a free spirit who was NEVER tied down with a baby! I've done my share of babysitting but never on a Friday night, if you know what I'm saying! Wouldn't you know that I found out on 8/22/11 and then we had an earthquake on 8/23/11, in Philadelphia no less. We never have earthquakes! But that's not it........Then came Hurricane Irene on 8/28/11. I'd say that was proof enough that this news would shock the